[governance] Reminder: The Big Reveal is in One Hour

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jun 14 07:47:02 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 13 June 2012 06:07 PM, CW Mail wrote:
> Well, it looks like a wholesale attempt to privatise hundreds of
> generic words in the English language.
>
> CW

 From those who know better, I will like to know whether the present new
set of new tlds is of unrestricted gtlds like .com etc, which I
understand should be open for anyone to register a web space under, and
no discrimination can be made (other then clear criteria of trademark
etc) or are they all private tlds that the owner can decide to do
whatever about. If the latter, such wholesale privatisation of language
that CW speaks about is an extremely serious issue.

No one can be given a gtld with a word/name for private use unless one
at least has an international trademark right to that word/name, in
which case too I am not sure whether one should be given such a tld for
private use, but that is a matter of relatively lower level concern.

Even while allocating generic tlds open for anyone to register,
competition policy may require to exclude such companies that have clear
vested interest in that particular bit of digital real estate (and thus
are more likely to indulgence in anti-competitive activities) . The
present list of applicants mostly consists of companies seeking gtlds
with names that clearly denote their core areas of business. Doesnt look
like promoting a competitive domain name space, which one of the very
few avowed public policy concerns of ICANN.

parminder