[governance] "Oversight"

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Wed Jun 13 20:37:10 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Jean-Louis FULLSACK
<jlfullsack at orange.fr>wrote:

> Dear Louis
>
> I think Parminder's fears are right, especially for those countries (and
> they the majority) who don't have neither the financial, nor the technical,
> nor the human resources to establish, to operate and to maintain/develop
> the "root mirror architecture" you mention in your reply.

- - -

Dear Jean-Louis,

This infrastructure (part of the DNS for short) is already deployed and
operational. The only missing element is "root protection". You pinpoint
poor countries having none of the necessary resources. But if they use
internet and don' t even have ISP's they must use name servers from other
countries. They might have, as in some African countries, a router in a
major city administered by a foreign ISP.. In this case the only thing they
have to do is "do nothing".

David Conrad supplied very relevant cost elements for mirroring a root.
Clearly, lack of money or expertise is not an issue.

> Therefore I support a more critical approach for CS orgs on this
> fundamental issue of Internet governance.

Arguments exchanged on this topic of MS oversight are very knowledgeable.
They are the kind of dialectics corpus needed for advancing political
negotiations at UN or IGO level. However, we are in a situation where the
US hold a dominant position without any need for making the slightest
concession. Presumably both dems and reps politicians would cry wolf and
claim that Barack Obama were handing over internet control to some
irresponsible international organization.

That does not mean that dialectics are useless. On a long term, around 10
years, that may win. But arguments would be more effective if larger
segments of the internet were using "protected" roots. Btw, the US would do
just the same if they had to rely on a root administered by foreigners.
This is a typical case of "mutually suspicious systems".

Louis