[governance] "Oversight"

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 00:20:14 EDT 2012

Thanks very much for this clarification Alejandro. It helps me a very great
deal as I think I now understand the distinction that is being drawn between
inter-governmental "oversight" and what you are describing below as
"Multi-stakeholder reviews" operating under "Affirmation of Commitments"
which I believe is a different form/model of "governance" than I, at least,
have undertstood as being discussed in the current context.

I would be very interested if you (or others) could point to more detailed
descriptions/analyses of this approach.

As I understand this, it would seem to me to approximate to the model that I
was suggesting some time ago as a possible alternative to either the status
quo or inter-governmental "management" which is what I saw being developed
in the context of the Open Government Partnership where the joint
governmental/CS review of governmental OGP plans would take the place of
what you describe as "multi-stakeholder reviews" and a combination of an
initial governmental commitment to the Open Government Declaration and the
individual national OG plans would be the equivalent of your "Affirmation of
Commitments".

I don't at the moment have the time to fully draw out the
comparisons/parallels but as I mentioned in my earlier emails on this I do
see some very significant benefits to Civil Society and overall in this
general approach.

Mike