[governance] "Oversight"

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Tue Jun 12 23:08:17 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

**
> Lee, Since you, and also David, seem to rely a lot on the argument about
> root servers that are under no contractual obligation 'to do anything', I
> must address it. The US based majority of root servers - which is all but
> three -  may not be under any contractual obligations but they are subject
> to US law, and legitimate executive orders. This is the real issue, not
> just the involved contract law. In any condition that US law and executive
> power considers special - whether IP enforcement or security/ warfare
> related, all US based root servers will be obliged to fall in line.
>
> As for the three - or is it four - non US based root servers, firstly,
> they are all in US friendly countries, on whom US has great persuasive
> influence. In any case, the cost of non compliance to republishing the
> authentic root version - in terms of possible general disruptions etc - is
> too high for anyone to a make a reasonable assessment that they are may
> not  fall in line.

Here I have some trouble following the logic. The root mirrors
infrastructure exists in most countries with enough bandwidth to handle
requests, see <http://www.root-servers.org/>. It costs the same regardless
of the root they use. Thus, States or other organizations could maintain
their own root, which does not have to differ from the Verisign version.
However, they could screen zone transfers to make sure the contents are
valid, and fix them if needed.

Regards