[governance] "Oversight"

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:20:13 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Lee W McKnight <lmcknigh at syr.edu> wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> If I may attempt to mediate yet again, I think we are indeed making some
> progress on this thread.
>
> On the one hand, there is the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' description
> of what is working now from David and McTim

I can't speak for David, but my position is MUCH more nuanced than that.

What I have been saying for a very long time indeed is that tilting at this
particular windmill is not a productive use of time.

The USG is NOT going to let this go, no matter what, so let's work on
things we CAN change.

..and noting the key safety
> feature in the global inter-net, that neither the USG, nor ICANN, nor anyone
> really, is in a position to tell -most- of the root zone operators what to
> do.

right

> They are already working for you, and for - global civil society. Always
> have, and hopefully always will.

right

> Hence David's bemusement at the techie's being accused of things when they
> have been defending all of us - from any arbitray government action, or
> private action, emanating from anywhere.  No time to go into Jon Postel's
> power play/innocent test exercise demonstrating this point to USG back in
> the day, but anyway.
>
> Next, the question you raise - well if the US NTIA plays a part in the
> system, why can't we swap out US NTIA for XYZ UN or other MSH/and/or UN
> process.
>
> And now we get to the poker analogy or unilateral disarmament scenario,
> however one wishes to characterize it:
>
> WHEN there is a plausible UN or global scenario/mechanism on the table to
> talk through how exactly an alternative would work, such that USG/DOC/NTIA
> can get out of the engine room, THEN - there is something to talk about.

Even in the poker scenario, the USG can produce 5 aces to anyone
else's 4 aces.
This is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

--
Cheers,

McTim