[governance] Re: "Oversight"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 6 02:31:25 EDT 2012

On Monday 04 June 2012 09:56 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi Parminder
Snip

> So to summarize:
>
> 1.  We are in agreement that oversight should refer to just the
> USG/NTIA functions.

Yes.

> 2.  We are in agreement that, as per your recent statement, it is
> preferable that oversight and broader GPP be addressed in different
> institutional contexts rather than folded into one body, right?

Yes. That is the main proposition we have been trying to advance. It is
there in the joint CS statement and it was very clearly articulated in
my presentation at CSTD (which the US's chief delegate was good enough
to partly paraphrase to the assembly).

> A couple questions follow.  Let me try on my Parminder interrogator
> hat :-)

Very happy to respond. BTW, I really do think that as CS actors in a
political space, claiming some kind of representativity of  broader
social groups, we need to be able boldly ask such clear questions (which
you call as interrogation), and be always obligated to respond to them
(something I often dont see happen here). We are not at an evening
cocktail party; a political space like this one is more akin to say,
town halls or parliaments, where such cross-questioning and seeking
clear responses is the normal order. Yes, it may lead occasionally to
some commotion, but we can live with it. But we can shed our political
responsibility.

> 3.  Do you therefore agree that the G77 & China proposals of new UN
> bodies that would do both together are ill-considered?  Yes or no?

Are you speaking of the corresponding WGIG models?  Then, yes. I dont
think a body that is supposed to, for instance, facilitate treaties,
conventions etc, or discuss Internet intermediary principles, is best
suited to undertake the direct oversight function. The nature of actors,
interplay between different kinds of actors, the basic natures of
functions involved, all are very different, and thus we should have
different institutional approaches to the CIR oversight and broader GPP
issues.

At the same time, the kind of bodies that are proposed, with some
improvements in their participation models, are very much required for
the broader GPP functions, minus oversight function (aka OECD's CCICP
functions).

I asked whether it is WGIG models you refer to because since WGIG I
havent heard of any 'new body' proposals from China et al. They seem to
be focussing on ITU, and a core group, which can be said to have more
authoritarian aspirations, has developed some degree of aversion to 'new
body' proposals. This I think is because of three reasons. One
legitimate and two not so. The legitimate reason is of pragmatism - new
bodies are difficult to form and a dialogue focussed on them may merely
serve to take away from the more plausible possibility - which is going
down the ITU route. The illegitimate reason is that for some of them,
there is that 'problematic' distinct possibility that any new body
created in the current context will certainly be much more MS than they
may be comfortable with, and secondly, is liable to also raise Internet
related human rights issues that they may be desirous of suppressing
even more than they seek democratic global governance of the Internet.
It may be important, in this context, to note that one of the seven
functions envisaged for CIRP proposed by India is promotion and
protection of human rights.

> 4.  Do you therefore agree that the IBSA and Indian proposals of a
> body to "integrate and *oversee* the bodies responsible for technical
> and operational functioning of the Internet, including global
> standards setting" along with performing a wide array of GPP functions
> are similarly ill-considered, and that these may contribute to the
> lexical confusion?  Yes or no?

Yes, to that they are inadequately considered vis a vis the oversight
role. No, to being ill-considered, if the prefix ill- begins to suggest
bad intentionality, which I dont think there was in this case.

Rio proposal was put together in a very short inter-gov meeting
following the Rio seminar on global Internet governance. The main focus
was on the 'new body' part which most people fail to notice was a very
significant going-forward from earlier IBSA statements which says, new
or existing body (read, ITU). (The absence of good reception of Rio
proposal in some, powerful, quarters, has simply led some of the
involved actors to go back to 'existing body or ITU' position.). India's
CIRP proposal was also similarly developed in a very short time. It
seems to have pulled together some language from the WGIG model and took
an improved version of OECD's CCICP stakeholder participation model to
put forward a proposal which was always meant to be a dialogue starter.
The oversight part is there as a CIRP function because
internationalising CIR oversight is an important demand of all
developing (in fact all non US) countries. Accordingly, a CIRP proposal
could not be made without that part. There perhaps wasnt time enough to
configure the oversight role in its performative details, whereby some
of the issues we are now discussing may have come up. From what I have
seen from their attitude, I am sure India would be open to suggestions
that the oversight functions could be taken out of CIRP to a more
appropriate international structure.

   Also agree that such in-adequately considered proposals can cause
lexical confusions. Civil society should especially be ready for and
active in such conceptual clarifications, esp when they have important
bearing on practical issues.

However, lexical confusions are so common in IG space - like using new,
confusing, terms like AoC for what is basically a bipartite agreement
(more of it in another email), trying to claim that 'enhanced
cooperation' which has a clear global public policy related
institutional definition in TA, pertains to more people meeting more
cordially in more conferences,  remaining unclear whether MSism relates
similarly to all levels of policy process, and similarly to all kinds of
policy processes (for instance separately for CIR oversight and broader
GPP issues), or it relates differently, and if so how, which
clarifications alone can contribute to real MS models that are
needed.... I agree, we should actively contribute to lexical and
conceptual clarities before we can seek substantive convergences.

I am delighted that we are making some progress here.

parminder