[governance] Re: "Oversight"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 4 02:51:13 EDT 2012

On Sunday 03 June 2012 03:52 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi Parminder
>
> On Jun 2, 2012, at 7:20 PM, parminder wrote:
>>
>>>  In a similar vein, the IT4C statement for the CSTD meeting also
>>> spoke of transferring oversight  from the USG to
>>> an intergovernmental body.
>>
>> This is a misleading reading of ITfCs statement, but I dont want to
>> divert from the basic discussion here. (I will comment on it later)
>
> My apologies for using short hand, let me quote in full: "On the
> technical governance side, the oversight of the Internet's critical
> technical and logical infrastructure, at present with the US
> government, should be transferred to an appropriate, democratic and
> participative multilateral body, without disturbing the existing
> distributed architecture of technical governance of the Internet in
> any significant way (However, improvements in the technical governance
> systems are certainly needed.)

Lets then get this out of the way, although if you were unclear about
certain terms in our joint CS statement if would be best if you asked us
what we meant by them rather than 'unilaterally' - and we will have to
occasion to comment on the meaning and implication of this term a little
later - ascribing them very definitive meaning of your own.

You may notice that, first of all, we have separated the institutional
model for CIR/tech oversight from that for larger Internet related
public policies (aka the work OECDs CCICP does). For the later we
propose something within the UN but not for the former, ie not for CIR
/tech oversight. This has a clear purpose, and the purpose is elaborated
in the tentative proposals we have since been trying to develop at the
CSTD meeting and in the last few days in our discussions in the IGC.

This separation also takes note of the concerns that Insituto Nupef
(carlos' organisation) had with a mixed model within the UN, as proposed
by India's CIRP proposal (which you should realise was never ITfC's
proposal). In fact, and as I have mentioned in an email a day or two
back, the CIR management oversight model suggested by Carlos during the
WSIS was clearly in our mind as we drafted these sentences that you quote.

BTW, you must not fail to notice that the statement you quote from is
co-sponsored by Nupef, along with ITfC and 3 other organisations. And
you must give the credit to all these organisations that they know what
they are doing.  The sentence that you quote was deliberately worded to
prepare the way for the kind of proposals that I am putting forward now,
where CIR oversight is internationalised through a non UN mechanism,
that has larger than inter-gov participative-ness, ie has non gov members.

    "So ok, you said multilateral rather than intergovernmental, but we
    know these are synonyms. And since improvements are needed,
    presumably said body would provide them, which means broader
    negotiated decision making than just what the NTIA does". (Bill)

Multilateralism, strictly speaking, is the inverse of unilateralism,
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilateralism ) and not of
multistakeholderism. A few people involved with limited dialogue on
global IG cannot themselves completely redefine categories of political
philosophy. It is against the 'unilateralism of US' - the principle
issue vis a vis CIR oversight - that the term multi-lateral is used in
our statement. It means equal involvement of all countries.  Yes, that
is what we demand. And remember this campaign was primarily aimed at the
rather much larger civil society outside the IG realm, where, you would
perhaps have noticed, it received huge support in a very short time. The
words in the statement were primarily aimed at the understanding of this
larger CS ecology, and uses political categories as they use and
understand. You would perhaps like to dismiss the 'democratic and
participative' part of the statement as of no worthy consequence here.
However, we use it to mean the most appropriate participation of
stakeholders as relevant to the issue and governance space, and in the
case of CIR management we do think that it is appropriate that we dont
follow the typical UN membership based model, and the membership of the
concerned body has non gov participants, and is perhaps generally made
of people who have backing of a larger constituency from the societies
they come. (Details and specific to come :) )

Of course you are bristling to ask, but why not use that IG magic word,
multistakeholderism. We think what we are proposing is multistakeholder
(MS). The last sentence of the relevant para from our joint statement
speaks of 'being fully participative of all stakeholders'. For instance,
we have always expressed great appreciation for the MS model of
Brazilian Internet Steering Committee. However, as I have often said on
this list, I continue to be apprehensive of what you and other MS
adherents on this list, and generally, in the IG space, mean by MSism.
For us, for instance, the manner of selecting stakeholder reps is very
important, and we have been pushing for clear principles and guidelines
for this (for instance at the WG on IGF improvements). We become more
than a bit confused when some people ask for equal footing for
'everyone' in 'each and every context', and on being questioned what
models are these, how do they work etc, we do not get any clear
response. (Remember the recent big discussion on IETF and public policy
making on this list.) MSism is the right model for us, if we can ensure
specific and strong measures against capture, especially by big
business. Despite our best efforts we have not been able to get a
discussion on this most important issue vis a vis MSism. It is in this
background, that a very large number of global and sub-global NGOs want
specific clarifications before they can unconditionally endorse
multistakeholder global governance models, especially as they , quite
suspiciously, hear discussed in IG spaces. They would like to know what
exactly is meant here - what would be the role of, and the interplay
among, different actors. (For instance, I would never be able to get a
health or 'access to knowledge' NGO to go with an gov arrangement where
the rep of a multinational drug company will have the same status as a
gov rep. It would simply not work.)

  This was the context of our joint statement that sought to catch the
Interest of global civil society not typically involved with IG but
increasingly conscious of, and also concerned about, what is happening
in this area.

> And since improvements are needed, presumably said body would provide
> them, which means broader negotiated decision making than just what
> the NTIA does.

No, that is not at all what we mean and want. Since the part on needed
improvements directly follows one on preserving the present
decentralised nature of tech governance, we meant, and, I stress, we
mean, that the required improvements would largely come from the
existing distributed and bottom up processes. I hope that makes things
clear.

>>>  Am I reading correctly that for you, oversight now just means
>>> ensuring adherence to international law established by a treaty?
>>
>> Yes, that is what oversight is to me. And this doesnt represent a
>> recent change in position. It was always so for me/ ITfC.
>
> I'm having trouble squaring the two.  NTIA functions + broader global
> policy making through a multilateral institutions sounds significantly
> broader than just ensuring adherence to international law...

I have gone to great lengths to stress that with oversight I mean
largely NTIA functions, and the + you put there is not there in my mind
and assertion, nor, clearly, is it meant in the joint CS statement. So
can we now go ahead with this.

parminder