[governance] Our internet is at risk

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jun 4 11:47:52 EDT 2012

From: governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org [mailto:governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org] On Behalf Of Avri Doria

In WCIT I expect for another push for an oversight model over ICANN, IETF and anything else they can get the requisite number of governments to support.
[Milton L Mueller] Huh? Avri, I am quite sure that WCIT will not even come close to such a move, as it is almost completely unrelated to the ITRs. Even the US State Dept is not claiming that such things will happen. Did I miss something? Which proposals, drawing from in the ISOC-prepared list of proposals, would give the ITU oversight over IETF?
Basically I think ITU will do anything they can to get control of anything they can, and WCIT is the next battleground in a very long war of attrition.  they want it call, but will grab whatever they can.  The ITU is forever and they can wait.
[Milton L Mueller] It’s not my intention to defend ITU, but I do not feel comfortable with the implied demonization of such entities and the attribution of false things to them. If there is a war of attrition, it is clear that ITU is losing it. Time is NOT on the ITU’s side, given their financial condition and their reliance on the old model of hefty fees for access to standards docs.  I also think such claims detract from the real threats, which are related to economic aspects regarding interconnection of telcos and their impact on the “neutral” net (end to end argument) model.