[governance] "Oversight"

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 16:49:03 EDT 2012

Going back to an earlier discussion and announcement by ICANN that it
was not party to domain name seizures, verisign was, who does verisign
signs its contracts with? Isn't ICANN partially a member of that
process? Did ICANN step into protect the rights of the domains that
its stakeholder is distributing? Do read the comments by the readers
at the end of the post.

http://blog.icann.org/2010/12/icann-doesn%E2%80%99t-take-down-websites/

And here is a list of websites pulled down in lieu of season's sales
in the US last year. I wonder how many governments were consulted on
this matter at ICANN or with its stakeholders and made public before
the action was taken or is it that this authority doesn't have to
consult any stakeholder? Oh no one indeed since its a US IPR issue and
no one else has anything to do with their jurisdiction?

http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/1111/111128washingtondc.htm

List of domains seized
http://www.ice.gov/doclib/news/releases/2010/domain_names.pdf

ICANN is weak and I don't believe in weak institutions. I live in a
country full of them. The beauty of this discussion is that it will go
on and on......

var$ Foo = "foodafied";