RES: [governance] "Oversight"

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Jun 3 16:35:32 EDT 2012

Vanda,

On Jun 3, 2012, at 1:19 PM, Vanda UOL wrote:
> Dear David,   you right, ICANN has no such power and wherever is will be
> located I donĀ“t believe ICANN will have such power, with or without judicial
> order.

Right.  More to the point, the way the root of the DNS works, there is no single entity that has sufficient control to "shut down any website" from the root which is the only thing ICANN (through the IANA functions contract) can influence.

> Critical internet resources was a term used by  the first movement in the

> IGF to define mostly addresses, though the reality is wider  under the civil
> society interpretation, since telecommunications for instance is critical,
> electricity is also  critical... and  other not tangible issues as human
> rights and similar ..

OK, but with either the original or the expanded definition, the assertion "no one outside US bo[r]ders has any control over their critical internet resources" still doesn't make sense to me. The statement implies that folks within US borders do have control which obviously isn't accurate.

Regards,
-drc