[governance] East Africa IGF - day 2, discussion of ITRs

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 19 12:43:26 EDT 2012

On Jul 19, 2012, at 12:11 PM, parminder wrote:

I am surprised that some basic openness, inclusiveness, accountability and transparency related questions about the so called AP IGF seem to strike to you as if they are coming from an entirely unfamiliar planet ('why did you not raise them before!'). You are giving a 'well-I-did-not-think-of-it' of kind of response, which is surprising because we have been for years fighting for exactly the same principles for the UN IGF and other UN IG related bodies. You have also been a part of the WG on IGF improvement where each one of these issues and principles was discussed threadbare.

Parminder -

  With the goal of constructive deliberation, could briefly state how these principles
  should be applied to Regional IGF meetings?  I agree that we should not lose these
  principles simply because a meeting is taking place on a regional basis, but at the same
  time, I am concerned about the potential of over-specifying hard requirements for a
  Regional IGF meeting to be held, if it means that initial or organizing meetings can't occur
  as a result of not meeting such high standards on day one.  If civil society could suggest
  a simple list of practices that would make for a regional IGF of compatible character, then
  I believe that would have an impact during the organizing of these events.

  I know that ARIN is often requested to speak at or support such meetings, and I must
  admit that I have not been giving any thought to the structural aspects of such meetings,
  (instead presuming that helping people get together and discuss matters, even in an
  imperfect structure, was better than no meeting at all.)  If this community can provide
  something against which to measure the events to advance these principles, I would be
  happy to ask the appropriate questions before committing to logistical or financial support.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO