[governance] East Africa IGF - day 2, discussion of ITRs

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Thu Jul 19 10:56:59 EDT 2012

Hi friends,

"Asia Pacific Regional Internet Governance Forum
http://www.APrIGF.asia"
 . . definitely smacks of a conference organized within a series of somehow
coordinated events under a common umbrella called Internet Governance Forum
(IGF).

Is Internet Governance Forum (IGF) a registered trade mark ?
Is there a reference body mandated for validating conference titles ?
Are there guidelines for conference organizers ?

Absent such constraints it is quite natural that controversies arise when a
popular title (slogan) means different things to different people. History
shows that at some point, when it reaches a successful reputation, it
usually attracts attention from dominant lobbies inclined to turn it into a
private power system. What's new ?

I am not suggesting it's the case here, only that anywhere it's a risk that
should be prevented before it's too late.

Organizations like ACM, IEEE, IFIP, and many more, lend their titles and
benign supervision to local organizers. It would be very unusual these days
to expect a potentially recurrent conference not to be organized without an
international coordinating structure. It's time for IGF & Co to trade a
certain amount of bureaucracy for a larger amount of stability, visibility,
and a protective shell.

Cheers, Louis
- - -