[governance] East Africa IGF - day 2, discussion of ITRs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jul 19 04:20:49 EDT 2012

On Thursday 19 July 2012 09:18 AM, Izumi AIZU wrote:
> Hi Adam and all,
>
> Asia Pacific regional IGF, is also ongoing since yesterday, for three
> days.

Dear Izumi and Peng Hwa,

My best wishes for the meeting. However, that reminds me that when you
announced this so called regional IGF I has asked you for a few
clarification vide my email to the IGC on 25th April (enclosed and also
content cut pasted below). I am surprised that as the main organisers
neither you nor Peng Hwa considered it necessary on answer my queries.
parminder

Disclosure: I was invited for the meeting but refused to attend because
of its overly business ownership, and non transparency as inter alia
evident in not responding to my direct questions about the event. I have
been trying to persuade the organisers for three years now to make the
event more open and inclusive, especially for more marginalised groups
etc . And among other things invite the Asia Pacific UN regional
commission to be part of the meeting as Latin American and African
regional IGFs have done. But this has been to no avail.

Below is the content of my email of the 25th April.

Dear Izumi

Can you proffer more information on who is organising this meeting, who
is is funding it etc...

In general, as you know, I am quite against policy dialogue forums
(which I understand this meeting is supposed to be, taking from the UN
IGF) being organised primarily by the business sector, especially when
such a forum claims a monopoly and therefore authoritative position,
which is implied in the name of 'the' 'Asia Pacific regional IGF'.

Mine is a somewhat unpleasant task of raising what may appear to be
difficult question with regard to sincere and hard work being put in by
people like you and Peng Hwa, both of whom I greatly respect. But all of
us, most of all civil society, must be subject to accountability and to
hard questions when required. So, my apologies for that. However, I do
request an open discussion on the subject here in the IGC.

I do not think that you would much look forward to a time when the
policies that determine what education our children will have, and how,
will be determined by processes led by private companies in the business
of digital content, educational software etc. Do you? Or, to a time when
our health policies will be determined by processes led by big pharma
companies and private hospital chains. However, what is being done in
Internet governance today is precisely and inescapably leading us
towards such a model of governance and policy making. To that extent, we
will have to take responsibility for our actions. I am merely trying to
take responsibility for mine in raising these questions at this time.
And I look forward to your responses. Apologies once again if this is
inconvenient and/ or an incursion on your busy time.

regards, parminder