[governance] ECTF - initial draft proposal online

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Jul 11 11:20:41 EDT 2012

Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> asked, and Milton seconded, the questions:

> But since this is not an IETF plan, I really don't understand why an
> I-D

As far as I know, the Internet Draft process is the only
well-established, reasonably flexible mechanism for
circulation of draft documents provided by any Internet
Governance institution with the following important
properties:
- it can be used by anyone (in fact the required I-D boilerplate
  states explicitly "Note that other groups may also distribute
  working documents as Internet-Drafts".)
- document authors retain unlimited rights to also circulate
  what they have written in other ways.

The IGF certainly doesn't provide any mechanism for the
circulation of draft documents that I could have used instead.

In any case, I hope that using a format and mechanism that IETF
participants are familiar with will help with attractive some
of them to taking an active role in the nascent ECTF. I think
that given a key part of the plan is to use rough consensus
decision making mechanisms, it is important to seek to attract
a good number of people with relevant experience.

> and by what IETF process do you intend this to come about?

I don't plan to use any formal IETF process besides the "Independent
Submissions" stream, as described in RFC 4846 [1], for I-Ds and
possibly (if the RFC Editor decides to accept it) eventual publication
as an informative RFC.
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4846

Quoting from the Abstract of that RFC:

   There is a long-standing tradition in the Internet community,
   predating the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) by many years,
   of use of the RFC Series to publish materials that are not rooted in
   the IETF standards process and its review and approval mechanisms.

Anyway, it is clearly no longer possible for a meaningful "process
towards enhanced cooperation, to be started by the UN
Secretary-General, involving all relevant organizations by the end of
the first quarter of 2006", as foreseen in papa 71 of the Tunis agenda.

The only way in which meaningful Enhanced Cooperation can come about
now is IMO by means of some kind of ad hoc process, centered around
the IGF community, open to participation of anyone who wants to
participate and is able to do so in a constructive manner, reaching
out particularly to groups and organizations who clearly have relevant
expertise (IGC, IETF, national governments, international organizations).

Greetings,
Norbert