[governance] ECTF - initial draft proposal online

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Jul 10 14:30:38 EDT 2012

So instead of expanding the authority of the ITU, you propose to expand the authority of the IETF?
I thought IETF was a technical standards organization. What makes the techies who populate it an appropriate authority to deal with the geopolitical and policy issues of Internet governance? Certainly technical expertise is necessary and welcome in a MS forum, but the idea of grating an EC proposal onto the IETF, and drawing bad analogies between running code and policy deliberations, doesn’t strike me as helpful.