[governance] fukushima disaster report

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Jul 9 11:46:14 EDT 2012

On Jul 9, 2012, at 7:06 AM, parminder wrote:

> In his blog, Milton described accountability under AoC rather interestingly :) (http://www.internetgovernance.org/2012/05/04/accountability-under-the-affirmation-of-commitments/ )
> ASO to NRO: we need to be reviewed!
> NRO to ASO: don’t worry, I’ll do it
>
> NRO to ITEMS: here’s some money, do a review
>
> ITEMS to ASO: We talked to both heads, here’s your report!

Parminder -

  It might be more informative to read the review report itself rather than
  Milton's "description"...  The review was researched and written by an
  independent firm with input from more than 100 face-to-face interviews
  (including Milton, apparently :-)  There was also both RIR and ICANN
  public comment periods held on the draft report.  If you believe that you
  did not have any opportunity to comment or that your comments were
  not considered, please let me know asap.

  I will note, however, the question I asked was about the AoC-specified
  reviews and how they could be improved.
> I also cannot understand how the chair of the board of ICANN, the main party to be reviewed and made accountable, can have a veto on choosing members of the review board.
>
> Accordingly, we can take it that these 4 review boards are at the most internal review boards, for focussing some amount of organisational thinking on needed process changes etc. By no stretch of imagination can they be considered and proposed as oversight, and accountability extracting, bodies, as some people have liberally been doing.

  You've raised a difficult issue, since you have asserted a problem not with the
  execution of the AoC review process but inherent to the definition of the review
  teams as contained within the AoC document itself.  For example -
  <http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/aoc/affirmation-of-commitments-30sep09-en.htm>
  "The review will be performed by volunteer community members and the review team will be constituted and published for public comment, and will include the following (or their designated nominees): the Chair of the GAC, the Chair of the Board of ICANN, the Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information of the DOC, representatives of the relevant ICANN Advisory Committees and Supporting Organizations and independent experts. Composition of the review team will be agreed jointly by the Chair of the GAC (in consultation with GAC members) and the Chair of the Board of ICANN."

   While the review teams do contract for an independent expert review (e.g. the
   Accountability and Transparency Review contracted for an independent study
   to be done by the Berkman Center for Internet & Society), it is true that the
   team that considers the review has folks from both the ICANN Board and from
   the SO/AC organizations.  I actually do not know how you could have useful
   recommendations for change without involving such parties, but if you feel it
   impunes the independence of the results, then I highly recommend that you
   provide written comments to that effect into the next ATRT process.  Also,
   I would be interested in knowing if there were comments submitted into the
   present review process which did not make the final recommendations, as
   this would at least provide evidence of an issue beyond the theoretical.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.   Safety belt requires actual engagement on the
part of the user in order to function properly.