[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jul 5 12:05:10 EDT 2012

In message
<855077AC3D7A7147A7570370CA01ECD21ABDC8 at SUEX10-mbx-10.ad.syr.edu>, at
15:12:50 on Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes
>This is true, Roland, but who defined the laws? All regulators (in
>democratic countries) operate under defined legal authority, and when
>they exceed it or ignore that they get slapped down by the courts.
>Therefore, there is an important distinction between legislation or
>regulation and enforcement of laws or regulations.

I'm sure it depends on the country and the crime. In the UK many laws
are expressed as codes-of-practice written by, or case-law decided by,
various regulators. Although they are only interpreting what Parliament
gave them powers to do, albeit sometimes quite sweepingly.

In the USA I get the impression that this is how much of the FCC's work
is conducted, for example.

--
Roland Perry