[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jul 5 11:24:05 EDT 2012

Carlos
I am just catching up on this dialogue.
I think you raise excellent and important questions; do not be thrown off the track by Pisanty. (Alejandro, I'd encourage you to try to address substantive issues and not scold people on what sessions they should have attended, as if you were a schoolteacher. Especially when there is no evidence that those sessions actually addressed the issues raised or provided the opportunities for broad dialogue that exist here on this list).

There is a structural tension between the growing need for global governance of CIRs and the regional/territorial nature of the RIRs, just as there is a tension between Internet governance and territorial nation-states. The ICANN board, with a few exceptions such as Narten and Plzak, are almost completely ignorant of numbering issues, and the ICANN staff is trying very hard to avoid them as much as possible, partly out of deference to the RIRs, partly out of a feeling that they have too many other things to do. But this is not a viable situation long term; many of the issues regarding addresses - and not just the ones you mention - will have to be resolved globally. Either the RIRs will expand and improve their global policy making capabilities, or ICANN will have to step up, or if either of those options fails the ball will - as a matter of fact, not preference - fall into the US government's court.

Just as Whois for DNS became a major, global issue because the trademark interests wanted it to be one, so Whois for IPv6 will become a global issue if and when a powerful interest group decides it is. Curran's pretense that this is a local matter pertaining to the US LEAs only is either a dishonest smokescreen or (what is more likely) yet another indication of how woefully out of touch with global governance politics some people in the tech community are. The US FBI has - as everyone knows - led global policy efforts to deal with Whois, registrar accreditation agreement, and copyright issues. If they are making noise about IPv6 and Whois you can bloody well bet it is a global policy issue and you are absolutely right that civil society needs to be thinking about how it can participate in a legitimate open policy dialogue and not allow the discussion to be dominated by one side (LEA or business or government, whatever).

Milton L. Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
Internet Governance Project
http://blog.internetgovernance.org

Our workshop on global governance of IPv4 address transfers was approved last week; in this area the RIR community is becoming reasonably cooperative and aware of the need for