[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Jul 4 03:57:52 EDT 2012

Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> In message <4FF2D537.6090700 at cafonso.ca>, at 08:19:19 on Tue, 3 Jul
> 2012, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> writes
>
> >I am always puzzled by how much Icann (and Arin, I learn now) relies on
> >law enforcers instead of law makers (who are supposed to determine what
> >LEAs can and cannot do) to advise on its policies.
>
> The law enforcers are simply cutting out the middle man (but you don't
> have to listen to them any more that you'd listen to anyone else).

Of course, the law makers have an important role which is not
appropriately described by the derogatory term "middle man":
They have the responsibility of balancing law enforcement
interests against other legitimate interests of the general
public, such as e.g. privacy rights, the interest of avoiding
law enforcement costs that don't significantly increase the
success of law enforcement, etc.

> If you want to bring along some real criminals, to explain why they need
> various vulnerabilities to continue, feel free. But we don't have to
> listen to them either!

:)

But let's not forget the importance of including experts on the
various legitimate interests of the general public which sometimes
conflict with law enforcement interests.

Greetings,
Norbert