[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 3 11:42:20 EDT 2012

In message <4FF2D537.6090700 at cafonso.ca>, at 08:19:19 on Tue, 3 Jul
2012, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> writes

>I am always puzzled by how much Icann (and Arin, I learn now) relies on
>law enforcers instead of law makers (who are supposed to determine what
>LEAs can and cannot do) to advise on its policies.

The law enforcers are simply cutting out the middle man (but you don't
have to listen to them any more that you'd listen to anyone else).

Numerous governments have spoken (at ICANN and RIR meetings) about the
need for more regard for the needs of law enforcement, and I don't see a
problem with them bringing along some real life law enforcement people
to explain the issues at first hand.

If you want to bring along some real criminals, to explain why they need
various vulnerabilities to continue, feel free. But we don't have to
listen to them either!

At the end of the day the PDP will resolve some kind of outcome, taking
into account these various inputs.
--
Roland Perry