[governance]http://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-release/2012/commerce-department-awards-contract-management-key-internet-functions-icann

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Tue Jul 3 13:32:04 EDT 2012

If I may edit Avri:

"we, aka the stakeholders all and sundry, have [3] years to figure out how...responsibility for this bit of oversight [can] safely migrate elsewhere."

As there's nothing to convince NTIA about, if there is a not a solid proposal on the global table.

All and sundry might then hope, within 4 years of effort, to convince NTIA of its merits.

A faster timetable is possible, if a solid proposal is developed within a year, and NTIA is convinced that is the case within 2 more years of administratively proper proceedings soliciting everyone's input on same.  That ICANN, ISOC, and the RIRs are all on the record favoring a shift helps, but is not sufficient.

The accelerated schedule however is not particularly likely given global Internet multistakeholder deliberation speeds. In my always humble opinion.

Lee