AW: [governance] Follow-up on principles, pre-event, ECTF, WG: need for focus by IGC

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue Jul 3 04:44:04 EDT 2012

Thanks Jeremy for pushing this forward,

you are right, time is ripe to bring now the many "small rivers" which emerged from the many "hot and cold springs" in the last two years  into something like a "mainstream" which becomes politically relevant. I fully support a pre-event (The "Quo Vadis" Session) for Baku. I further support the idea, that the IGC produces an own statement (one or two position papers) on principles and EC.  This could be done online with a dateline October 15, 2012 and could be used as background material for the "Quo Vadis" session. Additionally there should be a background paper which just describes briefly all the various initiatives by governmental (IBSA, Shanghai, OECD, CoE etc.) and non-governmental (DC IRP, Brazil, APC, ICC etc.) bodies (something like a "mapping of the scene") so that we have a full overview what has been achieved so far and where we have the gaps.

Wolfgang Benedek is right that each new step should be build on the already existing documents. There is no need for "new water". However we have to recognize that the documents which have emerged in the last couple of years are very often neither universal nor multistakholder. IBSA and Shanghai puts one stakeholder (governments) in the drivers seat. OECD and CoE support multistakehoderism, but are not universal and do have also only governments as signatories. APC and ICC (and IGC) represents only one stakeholder group. As far as I can see only the DC IRP (internationally) and Brazil (nationally) are truly multistakeholder. We have now to go beyond that, that is to include ALL stakeholders and ALL regions on a higher level.

My understanding is that the "TakingStock" Plenary at the end of Baku will discuss principles and frameworks, which probably include also EC.  Our "Quo Vadis" session should produce a "roadmap" as a concrete proposal for this session coming from the floor to stimulate an open bottom up and transparent process which could lead to a more structured universal and multistakeholder process towards IGF 2013 (eventually via a new DC on Internet Governance Principles and Frameworks).

Additionally we have also to invest a little bit more thinking into the way how we deal with the various Internet layers in a different way. The previous initiatives mix political and technical guidelines which is partly okay but which needs a second check to make sure that political guidelines are compatible with technical architecture principles. Alejandro mentioned human rights as an issue. On the one hand the lower level auf the Internet is "neutral". On the other hand we see now with the Chinese proposal in the IETF on Autonomous Roots that also here we can have serious implications. I think that the IGC could get some credit for pushing a discussion on "human rights by design" into Internet protocols and standards.

Wolfgang