[governance] FW: <nettime> Adieu Minitel, Adieu!

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Mon Jul 2 10:10:18 EDT 2012

I remember having tried stubbornly to convince Intelmatique
executives (Intelmatique was the international arm of French Videotex
with ambition to export the system abroad) between1998 and 1990, when
Internet users population was growing from less than 1 million to
more than 2 million users while Minitel figures went from 6 to 12
millions to proceed to the big switch from Minitel to Internet and
take the jackpot, business wise... before the number of Internet
users would cross back the number of Minitel users (which did
happened around 1993).

And I sure was not the only one to try!

The short term benefits of 3615 (which were incredible for both the
carrier and the service providers due to the shaprness of the growth)
blinding the long term perspective was my sad diagnostic.