[governance] FW: <nettime> Adieu Minitel, Adieu!

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Jul 1 06:54:28 EDT 2012

On 01/07/2012 12:32, michael gurstein wrote :
> [...]

Thanks for the pointer to the article. It was a product that was way
past its shelf date.
I beg to differ re: hampering the diffusion of Internet in France. In
the early to mid nineties I had several meetings with high ranking
officials at France Telecom (who shall remain nameless because I still
hold them in shame for their responses) where I had all the trouble in
telling them that the Internet was the future. The... idiots... I had in
front of me had put all their faith in VideoText and future versions of
the Minitel, telling me that the populace was not ready to use full
computers which were too expensive, too complicated, too "American" for
residential use. In short, Internet was "too American" and,
"sacrebleu",  people would need to learn English to use it. Furthermore,
I had no answer to their question, quote verbatim: "With the minitel, we
have a pay for use business model that works. With this... Internet
thing, everything is free, so how will you be able to make one Franc
with something that's free? It simply will not work."

As a result, France Telecom and its Global One Alliance partners never
became the leading drivers for the Internet in Europe. By being too
focussed on state actors and its then visionless TelCos, Europe missed
the boat when the wave hit a few months later. The "Grand Projets" in
the 60s and 70s, most of them having been a success, led to a generation
of politically inclined, complacent managers running the show in Europe
in the late eighties, with visionaries leaving for Silicon Valley.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD