[governance] Twitter to add to Balkanization of the Web

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:51:50 EST 2012

This relates to one big reason Google (via Vint Cerf) would oppose a right
to ACCESS the "Internet" -- most people naturally think of the internet as
international and various parties, including but not limited to Google and
Twitter, and putting more and more structural barriers in place to
accessing the free international internet.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.internetsociety.org/internet/how-it%E2%80%99s-evolving/future-scenarios
>
> ISOC has done some extensive thinking/modeling around this issue.
>
> rgds,
>
> McTim
>
> On 1/26/12, Pranesh Prakash <pranesh at cis-india.org> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > Twitter just announced that they will soon roll out country-level
> > masking of content.
> >
> > http://goo.gl/icmIu
> >
> > This seems to be yet another pointer to the increasing balkanization of
> > the Web.
> >
> > So, different users see individualized search results based on personal
> > data, they see different maps depending on which country they are in,
> > they may or may not view a video depending on which country they are in,
> > and now they will see different tweets depending on their country.
> >
> > In a recent symposium on social media and freedom of expression, Michael
> > Anti, the Chinese journalist and blogger, noted how increasingly one
> > needs a visa (think circumvention tools) to access the 'international'
> > Internet.   However, we're heading to a future where there is no one
> > 'international' Internet.  Unless of course, we're already living in
> > that future.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Pranesh
> >
> > --