[governance] ITU In “Urgent” Meeting On Global Spectrum As New Devices Gobble It Up

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 06:35:35 EST 2012

This is an awesome article Riaz as it shows the challenges that lie in the
future with regards to forecasted bandwidth consumption and the subsequent
impact on spectrum. The challenges with connectivity that the I Phone users
experienced in New York some time ago reflect the reality of these
challenges.

One of the trends that we see vendors morphing into is the creation of
products that consume less spectrum. I was at the Communicasia in 2010 and
this was one of the discussions that Vendors were having etc. The flood of
products and apps will cause a huge strain on the spectrum and affect
consumption patterns etc aside from IP address issues etc.

This in itself has implications on the nature of governance discussions. I
am sure the ITU Meeting to discuss this will no doubt be interesting and
exciting.

The strain in itself and future forecasted bandwidth consumption will force
an evolution in increasing backbone infrastructure and the entire
information infrastructure as we know it.

Proper planning and forecasting now will help alleviate potential
congestion issues.

Sala

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT