[governance] Jan 18 : website strike against censorship - can our sitesjoin ?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jan 18 05:48:56 EST 2012

On Wednesday 18 January 2012 02:06 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>     I request to amend one thing in the following sentence
>
>         We urge all stakeholders of internet governance to encourage
>         dialogue to help governments, members of the private sector
>         and civil society to engage in dialogue to discuss how we can
>         preserve the openness of the internet.
>
> The rationale behind this is that civil society is leading the
> discussion and dialogue already hence it being last in this instance.
> The positioning does not diminish the significance of civil society in
> any way.

Sala, you have a point in this case, although I still prefer the right
order. After all, it is not that we are 'the' civil society that is
making this call. Anyway, mentioning business sector before civil
society is becoming the norm in information society discourse, and I see
it in sinister terms. In all other global political discourses,
especially in the UN documents, it is always civil society before
private sector actors. The standing of civil society is much different
and higher in terms of public interest political actors than of the
private sector.

Parminder