[governance] Draft Statement [ URGENT Call for Comments before 1800 UTC+12 ] #IGR #SOPA #PIPA

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:13:45 EST 2012

*Dear All,*

*

*We note that there is a consensus to protest against the SOPA, PIPA and
India's Intermediary Guideline Rules. I have also gleaned from concerns on
freedom of expression in other countries that have been subject to List
discussions in the past year etc. This is a first Draft in text as well as
attached for those who may wish to add their tracked changes, edits and
comments before 2200 UTC +12 18th January, 2012.*

*
*

*
*

*Draft Statement by the Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus on
Censorship (SOPA/PIPA/IGR)*

We have made a decision to join the black out in protest of the arbitrary
censorship of the internet which violates people’s rights to responsibly
use the internet. We note with increasing concern the the various
censorship mechanisms around the world including but not limited to India’s
Intermediary Guideline Rules (IGR) nor the United States of America’s Stop
Online Piracy Act  (SOPA)and Protect IP Act (PIPA).

Any country’s censorship mechanisms affect ordinary internet users all over
the world.

We note that Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and
Political Rights (ICCPR) and urge governments who have ratified the ICCPR
to abide by their commitments.  Whilst freedom of expression has
limitations, these limitations are on the verge of being extended to
accommodate assault on freedom of expression and the openness of the
internet.

Whilst the exception has been provided for it does not mean that it can be
abused. For jurisdictions which have legitimate governments where people
can truly have their say in the laws that their legislators dish out or
choose their representatives to Parliament or Congress, it is critical that
even more so, civil society is seen to make a stand.

We have observed with great concern threats to freedom of expression on
countries such as Republique Democratique du Congo, China and Syria.

We have watched with joy as Burma continues to relax its censorship of
online content. Countries can mature in aspects of freedom of expression
and it takes awareness, outreach and dialogue.

For a country like the USA to pass SOPA or PIPA as law at the expense of
freedom of expression is a realisation that the assault on freedom of
expression does not know borders. We stand with civil society organisations
in the United States of America and abroad who are collectively raising
their voice against the SOPA and PIPA.

We urge all stakeholders of internet governance to encourage dialogue to
help governments, members of the private sector and civil society to engage
in dialogue to discuss how we can preserve the openness of the internet.

*ENDS*

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT