[governance] Cerfing the Web, or Serfing the Web? (Understanding Google's Internet Evangelism against Internet Access Rights)

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Jan 17 09:25:37 EST 2012

On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:27 PM, Paul Lehto wrote:

> Question: Why would humans understand and support property rights on the Internet, but not understand or support human rights on the Internet?
>
> Answer:  Businesses pay humans to advocate for business property rights, and to steer clear of advocating for human rights on the Internet except where absolutely necessary or supportive of the business' bottom line.  Take away the voices (in our imagination) of those on the payroll of various businesses, and there would be every bit, if not more, acceptance of human rights on the Internet as there presently is for property rights on the Internet.

I am still confused by all this. Perhaps it is some "western" type of thinking, but it just does not make sense to me.
The same thing as when you argued about corporations being evil.

Property rights is one of the human rights. How could property rights be against other human rights?

If it is a matter of balance, or rather a need for humans to exist, then one can say for sure, that humans can exist without Internet. They can also exist without property. They can for some time to survive even without food, or water. I believe humans will survive least without air to breathe…

My "fear" of declaring "access to Internet" is centered towards the abuse we see every day with regards to "human rights". Many are killed daily, in the name of "human rights". Countries are being invaded and drawn to war in the name of "human rights"…. to name few.

Of course, everyone has the right to access the Internet. Call it human right or not.. it is just a choice of wording. In another language, in another culture it might mean something else. Even in the same language/culture it might mean something else with a different Government. We have seen this all the time.

But in order to access the Internet, it has to be accessible to everyone. That means less regulation.

Daniel