[governance] Re: Day 2 - CSTD IGF WG

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 07:24:53 EST 2012

Another thing that called my attention was that, according to official
interpretation, the IGF is not part of the UN, it is a forum of the
Secretary General. Therefore, UN funding would not be possible without a
recommendation from the GA. According to what we heard/I understood, UN
washed their hands and vividly encouraged the WG to look for ways for the
IGF to get for money.

I am not against voluntary contributions. We should encourage them, of
course. But I think that stable funding has to be guaranteed to IGF core
activities and to the participation of MAG members and speakers, especially
those from developing countries, based on clear criteria of eligibility.
And I think it is unfair that some UN rules are imposed to the IGF, weather
we like it or not, but when it comes to being secured by UN, then IGF is
just an appendix of the SG. So I made the following comment on the floor:

Regardless of feasibility of public funding, I would like to support
Parminder's request for a formal written explanation about on what grounds
UN DESA is arguing that the IGF is not part of the UN. I think we should be
cristal clear on the uderstanding of this, as it impacts the IGF in the
future. We are always being told to abide by UN rules, even of matters that
are dear to us and that maybe the IGF community would have a different view
on how to proceed. I remember clearly that when was there was a launch of
the book about freedom of expression, UN authorities showed up to forbid
one advertisement that mentioned the name of a country, for instance. I
mention this because it is a public, well-known fact. That seemed pretty
awckward to us, but I think that people accepted, on the understanding that
we had a two-way street relation with UN. I am thinking that maybe this
relation with UN is assymetrical and that our responsabilities are not
consistent with the support we have received

Best,
Marília

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio