[governance] Re: Day 2 - CSTD IGF WG

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Jan 12 06:50:17 EST 2012

We are discussing about the Funding part.

After the coffee break, Chengetai made some reporting of IGF budget
areas.

There is no system to accept small funds
For private sector - they need “invoice”, but UN system does not issue invoices

Nothing has been denied by UN DESA.

Anything is possible if there is a political will.
Donor meetings – had with open consultations and main meetings.
Donors can’t say this or that – it is for all project as a whole.
No more power with other stakeholders.

Then Anriette made the following remarks remotely, and with her permission
I am posting it here.

Anriette Esterhuysen:

My contribution: I support a mixed model of funding. I think that
making the IGF responsible for raising its own funds can encourage a
result-oriented approach to IGF management an implementation.

However, for the IGF to have the capacity to raise the necessary
resources it needs core capacity. I would like a model whereby the
SG's office provides
(1) in-kind support as mentioned by the US
(2) that this in-kind support is stated clearly (e.g. communications,
office space, etc.)  and given an estimated dollar value in IGF
budgets
(3) that some core operational expenditure, e.g. the salary of the
Executive Coordinator be funded through the UN. Ideally a 35% UN 65%
voluntary funds in m view would give the IGF the financial
sustainability it needs.

It would also demonstrate UN ownership ad commitment without
compromising the independence of the IGF. Overall I would like to see
the IGF adopt a process of strategic management that involves annual
action plans and budgets towards which donors and the UN contributes,
with all information about these contributions published and made
available to the IGF community on a regular basis.

Swiss said they have no problem with transparency, and support ways to
insure no interference.
We hope to renew our contribution for 2012.

Parminder is trying to explain his/our view - on public funding, with
innovation, support Anrittte, but go with 60-40.

Soon for lunch
---
     governance at lists.cpsr.org