[governance] Re: CSTD WG on IGF 4th Meeting - 1st Memo

Jean-Louis FULLSACK jlfullsack at orange.fr
Thu Jan 12 04:27:41 EST 2012

Hello Anriette

I agree that remote participation is a still a hurdle race for our friends in DCs ... even in BRICS :-)

IMHO there are two lessons to be drawn from this situation :
- it is far more effective to participate physically in a meeting even in the "Internet age"
- WSIS organizers show an exagerated faith in Internet for considering remote participation as a viable means for CS in DCs to actually contribute to WSIS outcomes ... or they use remote participation for hiding their inability to finance the physical participation of qualified CS representatives (chosen by their orgs members).

In any case CS should be more offensiive in this matter and oblige WSIS organizers to tackle this very important issue. This is also one of the recuurrent issues raised by Parminder on our list. Serious proposals were presented by Louis Pouzin during the open (WSIS Forum) prepatory meetings with the support of all CS participants present. Without any progress.

CS cannot any longer put up with such a "black hole" in the WSIS process unless it is discredits itself.

Best

Jean-Louis Fullsack
CSDPTT-France