[governance] URGENT - Nominations for the MAG

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jan 11 12:08:40 EST 2012

In message <4F0DB808.5 at eff.org>, at 08:25:44 on Wed, 11 Jan 2012,
Katitza Rodriguez <katitza at eff.org> writes
>I defer on process to the nomination Committee. I was only highlighting
>that the rules does not apply to the current composition of the MAG.

I think the problem is that the "rotation rule" has been poorly
explained/understood.

On one hand we might have expected that it was a "first in-last out"
rotation process, where 1/3 were changed each year. Hard luck in a
startup, where in year two everyone's equal, but to get the process
going you simply have to send the short straw to a third of the group.

On the other hand, if it's merely "one third rotated off each year,
regardless of previous tenure" then it's inevitably going to be skewed
towards newcomers leaving. As far as I can see, we have 16 members
who've been there since day 1 (which is a quarter).

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org