[governance] DCMA and Google's Filtering - What about the right to the Internet for rest of the world?

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 18:12:30 EST 2012

Dear all,

I have a question as a result of something I have been noting for some
time now. Sometimes while I search for certain information via
www.google.com.pk, Pakistan's version of Google.com, I get a message
as below:

Millennium Copyright Act, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page.
If you wish, you may read the DMCA complaint that caused the
removal(s) at ChillingEffects.org"

This is Google's DCMA Policy:
http://support.google.com/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1386831

The question is, I am on a ccTLD and regional service of Google.
- Is Google bound to service my region (broker information,
information intermediary, information filtering) without any prior
information?
- Is it bound to enforce DCMA on Pakistan?
- How is this being implemented to a search request from a region by a
US based company's regional country specific service.
- Isn't this similar to SOPA?
- How does Google have the right to filter my results under any
copyright law that is not legislated by my country?
- How does Google have the right to enforce US based copyright laws
without a multilateral treaty or understanding?
- How do I get over this confusion now that I am witnessing it?

--
Regards.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org