[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Jan 5 10:11:21 EST 2012

Ivar A. M. Hartmann <ivarhartmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> why should a choice be made for a phrasing of the right that seems to
> exclude a positive dimension (e.g. the state has an obligation to an active
> performance, not only to omit from a restriction)?

I agree that states have an obligation to an active performance
in the area of ensuring affordable Internet access for all.

Here's an attempt to phrase this in a reasonably realistic and
technology-neutral way:

  All persons have the human right that their country of residence
  shall ensure that they can afford access to means of communication
  suitable for long-distance voice conversation (e.g. telephone) and
  for the exchange of digital information (e.g. the Internet).

However, I think that it is wise separate this from the obligation
to refrain from hindering Internet access.

These are in my opinion part of two different types of human
rights.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org