[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jan 5 09:51:19 EST 2012

In message <20120105143137.9A3BD15C3EF at quill.bollow.ch>, at 15:31:37 on
Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes
>My proposal would be to assert the human right that today is
>roughly equivalent to saying "Internet access is a human right"
>somewhat like the following:
>
>  It is a human right that a person's access to means of communication
>  must not be hindered in any way beyond the charging of reasonable
>  prices for communication related goods and services.

I think you also need something about "unless prohibited by law" (which
can also be a proxy of 'anti-social and illegal behaviour").

After all, even this very open-minded mailing list has thrown people off
in the past for spamming or trolling. And does the right extend to
convicts in jail (who will undoubtedly use it to organise further crime
and jailbreaks?)

Now, I understand that some people are worried that cutting off access
even to those who badly misbehave is a step too far. But that's why it
needs to be a "Civil right" not a "Human right".
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org