[governance] Decision [Imran Ahmed Shah] Complaint against MAG Nomination

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 26 00:41:09 EST 2012

Dear Sala

Let me first state that, as a fait accompli, I would like Fouad's
nomination to stand as I suspect that it is the IGC's wish (and I
concur)  that, although there have been numerous procedural problems
with this nomcom process, it would not want its outcomes to be nullified.

However, I am unable to agree with your judgement which summarily
disposes off one of most important institutions of the IGC - the appeals
committee. The judgement, in my view, is also unmaintainable because it
comes from an authority, an IGC co-coordinator, to check whose possible
abuse of power - whether deliberate or inadvertent - is one of the most
important task of the appeal's committee. Almost sounds like a coup :).
Well, only joking, in this instance.

All IGC office bearers have stood in their office till replaced by new
ones. Coordinators have often taken decisions past their 2 year period,
till they are replaced by a new set. And appeals committees have also
previously continued in the same way, till a new one is appointed. This
is the IGC convention, and its practical need and importance should be
obvious. In the view, I think, your judgement disposing off the appeal
committee is wrong. And it is dangerous to the extent that we are right
now left with no appeals committee.

An unsure and unclear nomcom with one of the two coordinator
incapacitated and no appeals committee looks like not a very good
situation for us to be....

I would request you, and Izumi, to amend your judgement in this respect.
In my view the appeals committee exists as present, while coordinators
should start the process of selecting a new one at the earliest.

parminder