[governance] Remote Participation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Feb 25 08:56:15 EST 2012

I essentially agree with this.

A few comments in line.

On 25 Feb 2012, at 08:37, parminder wrote:

> Sala
>
> Despite my numerous requests to the contrary I am completely unable to understand why we should, consistently and religiously, mention private sector before civil society where ever they come together. Now this could not be  a mistake because I always see it in this order, and even in this document they appear together more than once and always in the same order. So, obviously, there is some thinking behind it which I would like to be enlightened about.
>
> (Also why this sentence - "We also encourage greater partnership between the governments and private sector in enhancing remote participation." What does this mean.)
>
> I am also unable to understand the new process of seeking rough consensus that is being adopted. It has been an almost hallowed practice that once a statement is put for a 48 hour notice to invite rough consensus no changes can be made to it.

The only exceptions to this was that editorals were allowed as long as they did not change meeting.

> But nowadays it seems that a statement is put out for rough consensus and at the same time changes/ comments to it are invited, and then the co-coordinators forward whatever new form of statement that they feel like forwarding. It is obviously impossible for anyone to  say yes or no to a statement that is still being modified.
>
> Also, the practice has been that, before the 48 hour period, proposed changes to any statement have to be suggested on the email list here, with due justifications.

In one variant of this process of reaching rough consensus, if a substantive change is made, the list is informed and the 48 hour clock restarts after the substantive, or possibly substantive, change is made.

> There is a good reason for this. We follow principles of deliberative democracy where positions are negotiated and forwarded on basis of reasoning and deliberation. Frankly, I am quite lost.... pariminder

> On Friday 24 February 2012 10:30 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
>> This is a friendly reminder that there is still another 26 hours to go if you would like to make further edits and comments on the new insertions to the Statement on remote participation.
>>
>> Let us have your thoughts. Once the 26 hours has lapsed, we will take the final document and send as the IGC Statement to the IGF Secretariat.

No document that has not been static for at least 48 hours of public comment should be sent as an IGC position.

avri