[governance] Remote Participation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 25 08:37:31 EST 2012

Sala

Despite my numerous requests to the contrary I am completely unable to
understand why we should, consistently and religiously, mention private
sector before civil society where ever they come together. Now this
could not be  a mistake because I always see it in this order, and even
in this document they appear together more than once and always in the
same order. So, obviously, there is some thinking behind it which I
would like to be enlightened about.

(Also why this sentence - "We also encourage greater partnership between
the governments and private sector in enhancing remote participation."
What does this mean.)

I am also unable to understand the new process of seeking rough
consensus that is being adopted. It has been an almost hallowed practice
that once a statement is put for a 48 hour notice to invite rough
consensus no changes can be made to it. But nowadays it seems that a
statement is put out for rough consensus and at the same time changes/
comments to it are invited, and then the co-coordinators forward
whatever new form of statement that they feel like forwarding. It is
obviously impossible for anyone to  say yes or no to a statement that is
still being modified.

Also, the practice has been that, before the 48 hour period, proposed
changes to any statement have to be suggested on the email list here,
with due justifications. There is a good reason for this. We follow
principles of deliberative democracy where positions are negotiated and
forwarded on basis of reasoning and deliberation. Frankly, I am quite
lost.... pariminder