[governance] Warrantless Surveillance?: Gov't Subpoenas OWS Activist's Twitter Records

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 05:12:34 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Riaz K Tayob <riaz.tayob at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Why are you surprised that this would happen in the US? Surely you did
> not get caught up in the right and left wing US exceptionalism on this list?

lol

> There is the Patriot Act and numerous other violations... including
> getting access to SWIFT data on almost every international financial
> transaction as well as phone operators being let off the hook for not
> protecting their USers phone records etc etc... when there are double
> standards applied to the likes of the US vs the debates on China we see the
> ugliness of civil society and the scholasticism of reason...

The numerous treaties in place enables extraordinary cross border access to
information that encroaches privacy etc. Question is, how much is being
whittled away and at what pace?

> Things are changing now on this list, but Critical Internet Resources
> under the "control" of more transparent/accountable bodies may be a useful
> approach..

I agree. Be good for you to suggest this on the threads in relation to the
MAG consultation so they can factor it into their planning.

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro