[governance] Warrantless Surveillance?: Gov't Subpoenas OWS Activist's Twitter Records

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 05:05:35 EST 2012

Why are you surprised that this would happen in the US? Surely you did
not get caught up in the right and left wing US exceptionalism on this list?

There is the Patriot Act and numerous other violations... including
getting access to SWIFT data on almost every international financial
transaction as well as phone operators being let off the hook for not
protecting their USers phone records etc etc... when there are double
standards applied to the likes of the US vs the debates on China we see
the ugliness of civil society and the scholasticism of reason...

Things are changing now on this list, but Critical Internet Resources
under the "control" of more transparent/accountable bodies may be a
useful approach.. but then as NOW the computer professional jingoism
will come into play - if it ain't broke don't fix it...