[governance] Google Caught Tracking Safari Users: What You Need to Know

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 01:16:47 EST 2012

On 2/21/12, Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> With reference to piracy of data, Google has accepted a huge fine through
> the court orders.

It was actually a fine negotiated with the Department of Justice, not
a court ordered fine.

and it wasn't about piracy of data at all.

 Googlepaida near-record $500 million criminal forfeiture
> penalty.

I'm not sure it was "criminal" in that one has to be found guilty of a
crime to be a "criminal".

 He also was ordered to pay the cost of pirated material. Thus, in
> return, Google got the ownership of the data and contents of the Users.

I can't parse this.

The $500 million represents the money Google made from selling the
drug ads, plus the revenue earned by Canadian pharmacies from sales to
American customers.

All google got out of it in the end was a black eye.

> Google is making them pay for their material and getting ownership rights
> legally through a middle company.

????

They had to stop selling ads from Canadian pharmacies.

On the Internet, if a product is free, you are not a customer, you are
the product!

--
Cheers,

McTim