[governance] Re: Managing Critical Internet Resources [IGF 2012 - MAG Consultations]

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon Feb 20 22:35:37 EST 2012

Sala,

My 2 cents:  I see 3 topics here not 5:

1)    IXPs &   MIGRATION OF RESOURCES

  *   Transitioning from IPv4 to IPv6 [Shared Lessons]
  *
     *   Getting various stakeholders within developing countries particularly policy makers to see the linkages - encouraging greater cohesion in the area of policy;
     *   It will be good to see various regulatory practices around the world etc

2)    [SMART GRIDS] &   INTERNET OF THINGS
  *   Personally I call this category - wireless grids. fyi we are on track towards releasing version 0.1 open specs March 26 @ TEDxHarlem.  Anyway, smart grids, generally speaking, aren't that smart; and the 'things' in isolation are just - things. So real issue is how does one share resources among grids and things; and not pretend all life will be in the cloud so who needs to worry our pretty little heads about who controls what - resources, including things.

In sum, imho these 2 together are more interesting and relevant for IGF than either alone, which odds are would turn into corporate sales pitches for particular big brands...in the usual suspect category

3)    SPECTRUM ALLOCATION FOR MOBILE SERVICES AND THE DIMENSION OF PUBLIC INTEREST

(Sounds good to me; though  I wonder what our ITU friends will think of IGF engaging on spectrum allocation ; )

Kind Regards,

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro
Cell: +679 998 2851<tel:%2B679%20998%202851>