[governance] Draft Recommendation Doc

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 07:47:43 EST 2012

I agree with Izumi. This document is already on the format of a report, so
it is more objective and easier to read, although is a tentative document.

As you will see, the report is divided into 6 sections:

A. Shaping the outcomes of IGF meetings

B.  Working modalities including open consultations, MAG, and Secretariat

C. Funding of the IGF

D.  Broadening participation

E.   Linking IGF to other related processes/mechanisms/bodies

F.  Monitoring the implementation of recommendations on improvements to the
IGF

Of course, all the points are very important, but I would like to
specifically call your attention to point D, *broadening participation*, as
I believe that goes into the heart of civil society concerns. It is a topic
that impacts stakeholders from developed and developing countries, even
more so after the economic crisis. Broadening participation means deepening
legitimacy of the IGF and increasing the pool of ideas shared in the
meeting, to the benefit of us all.

Particularly for developing countries, this topic is crucial. Looking at
regional participation at the IGF on previous years (disregarding host
country participants) we see astonishing low levels of physical attendance
from Pacific, Africa and particularly from South America and the Caribbean.
How can we address this? *Are the suggestions made on this draft report
enough? Are they in tune with the real obstacles we all find to take part
in the IGF process*? It would be great to hear your views.

MarĂ­lia

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
> In addition to the documents already online for CSTD IGF WG, there also is
> an additional document sent to the WG members a few days ago which
> is not yet online.
>
> Though close in substance, it is much easier to read and understand, and
> closer
> to the final report, in my view.
>
> So, under my own responsibility, I am sharing this document with IGC
> list members. Please understand that this is a work-in-progress
> document and my intention is to have better inputs from the list so
> that we can work more productively next week.
>
> All the words here is sort of in square bracket, tentative, until
> everything
> is agreed.
>
> izumi
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/