[governance] Re: Feb 2012 Geneva meetings [Answers]

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 06:01:35 EST 2012

Parminder is correct: this MUST be addressed

However, I agree with Anriette that 'empty chairs' are a dangerous tactic.
One side of the polarized Venezuelan politics boycotted a National Assembly
election, giving the ruling party and effective and legal control of the
government, and winning back lost seats is not easy. My impression is that
boycotts are only effective in situations that have a high level of
representation and redress already in place.

As Baudouin Schombe points out, funding is hard to find, and the process is
difficult on many levels, with governments and international organizations
facing tight budgets as well. Diplo has a history of excellent
collaborators and partners, and yet the increasing bureaucratization of the
funding process means even a concept note takes a high investment of time
and energy -- and success at the first step means full-time work on
preparing a project proposal. Most of us now have more complex jobs and
fewer funds to work with.

We must work on a strategy towards a solution: How can we emphasize the
relationship between the growing Internet business with billions of US$
(ICANN, registrars etc.) and the extremely important role of CS in ensuring
Internet development for future 'clients'? It is ultimately in the interest
of 'Internet business' to support CS for the growth and sustainability of
the Internet. We need to connect the dots: Support for CS is not just
assuaging a social conscience--it is also good business.

Good ideas for are emerging--we need networking, but we also need to bridge
this particular 'divide' between CS and funders/business. Some of us should
work on this gap even as others work on the principles. I am willing to
work on a strategy towards this end. How can we move it forward? There are
business networks we can work with. How do we reach out to them as IG CS?

Ginger

Ginger (Virginia) Paque
Diplo Foundation
www.diplomacy.edu/ig