[governance] Re: Feb 2012 Geneva meetings [Answers]

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Thu Feb 9 11:25:15 EST 2012

Hi folks,

I asked the same question to Chengetai cc-ing the MAG members. See below.

Unfortunately, it is not possible for me to go on this opportunity due
to an imperative meeting I can't cancel—there is an  internal EFF
retreat with the whole organization on the 13-14 that all stuff must
go—scheduled with several months in advance). I'm available to join
remotely on the 15.

from Chengetai:

The draft  agenda for the Open Consultations and MAG meetings are available on the IGF Website.
The MAG meeting agenda may be reviewed on the basis of the discussions of the Open Consultations.
As indicated in Under-Secretary-General Sha Zukang's message on the renewal of the MAG,
the current MAG  will convene for the February meeting with the renewed MAG convening in May.

The meetings will be chaired by Mr. Elmir Valizadeh, Deputy Minister of Communications&
Information Technologies from this year's host country.

On 2/9/12 3:54 AM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:
> Dear Bill
>
> Please note that Natasha Primo resigned from the MAG in 2010. Not sure
> why this has not yet been recorded.
>
> Valeria will not be able to attend, unfortunately.
>
> I am not sure about Graciela.. but when we last talk it was also not
> going to be possible for her. But she can confirm.
>
> Best
>
> Anriette
>

> On 09/02/12 13:15, William Drake wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I just spoke with Chengetai, who by the time you see this will have written to the MAG list.
>>
>> * No Exec. Coordinator (no money) or Special Advisor yet
>>
>> * Open consultation and MAG meeting will be chaired by the host, the Vice Minister from Azerbaijan
>>
>> * No MAG rotation, the existing MAG remains in place for this meeting per Sha's letter.
>>
>> * The IGF date will be announced next week, it's in November
>>
>> So at the MAG meeting next week, able to speak for civil society would be
>>
>> Mr. Al Shatti, Qusai
>> Mr. Bajwa, Fouad
>> Ms. Betancourt, Valeria
>> Ms. Hofmann, Jeanette
>> Ms. Park, Y. J.
>> Ms. Primo, Natasha
>> Ms. Rodriguez Pereda, Katitza
>> Ms. Selaimen, Graciela
>>
>> Sorry if I missed anyone in cutting and pasting from the IGF site.   It's a fair bet that not all of the above will be in attendance.  It would be helpful to know who from the current MAG will be here.  And on the assumption that we will not be fully represented, it might be sensible to ask the chair to allow observers to participate rather than sitting silently.  Or if he thinks that'd be inappropriate, for CS to be able to designate temporary alternates for its missing MAG members.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> On Feb 8, 2012, at 10:59 PM, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>>
>>> Avri:
>>>
>>> I suppose by default it may end up the lead organizer from Azerbaijan. Or maybe one of the DESA people will do this meeting while all remains in flux.
>>>
>>> Wolfgang:
>>>
>>> The host country is always the Co-Chair. The other question is: Will Sha Zukang make this decision or will he leave this in the hands of the next Under Secretary Generel for Social and Economic Affairs. His terms ends in June 2012 and it is unclear whether he will continue. His relationship with Ban Kin Moon is not really a friendly one and after BKM was reelected as SG he will have his own ideas for his deputies. What does it mean? Be prepared for a continuation of an unclear situation which is not so bad (as long as the key players in the MAG drive the process) and it will strengthen the position of Chengetai (which is very good) .

>>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
Electronic Frontier Foundation
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990