[governance] Google removes offensive webpages as ordered by Indian court,(Xinhua)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 9 05:32:41 EST 2012

On Wednesday 08 February 2012 01:51 PM, William Drake wrote:
> And in a similar IBSA vein…
>
> Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/07/brazil_twitter/
>
> Brazil sues Twitter over police checkpoint tweets
> Threatens $290k fine… daily
>
> Internet governance begins at home, but I guess a United Nations
> Committee for Internet-Related Policies with a mandate to "facilitate
> negotiation of treaties, conventions and agreements on
> Internet-related public policies" could help with the development of
> complementary/reinforcing global standards…

Why would one want to forget that various global human rights
instruments are internationally negotiated agreements too, which were
then followed by UN summits (with their negotiated texts) on various
global issues of greatest importance... And our beloved IGF is also the
product of one such Summit and its negotiated text......

What is so special about the new context that we need to, /ipso facto/,
look down upon such global agreements? Or this an expression of the
post-democratic sentiment that is so much prelevant both in technical
governance spaces and among neolibs, their cross, in my understanding,
being the most potent political problem which we face today.

It is also important to note who makes the global law in absence of
international agreements in the new information society spaces - the
digital mega-corporations and the richest nations.... While we know
there are problems on both sides, one has to pick ones choice. As
famously said, in politics inaction itself is a significant choice.

(BTW, notices to google for taking down content has been rising at a
similar rate from Northern countries as from Southern.)

So, while noting the bad blood in IBSA vein, will also be good to take
note of what happens in the OECD's vein. The way a new global order is
being shaped, right now in front of our eyes, with illicit IP rights and
illicit forms of their enforcement at its base. Spaces for international
agreements can certainly provide a countervailing force to these very
problematic developments. At the same time, international agreements can
also be useful to limit arbitrary measures of content control by
agreements on some basic standard and procedures . After all, an
international agreement cannot be sealed by IBSA or China alone, it will
need all the good hearted countries of the North to sign it as well.

parminder