[governance] Draft Evaluation for the purposes of creating a Strategic Coordination Plan [Call for feedback]

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Feb 5 14:16:48 EST 2012

Hi,

I tend to support remaining with a single email list and using etherpad and wiki for caucus work.

Etherpad, assuming it works properly, not only allows for both synchronized cooperation that allows multiple individuals to edit and chat at the same time, it also allow for asynchronous cooperation.  Wiki tend to be more access controlled, do not function well with synchronized or overlapping edits but allow for better final document production where there is a smaller editing group.  Wiki's also tend to provide better formatting capabilities.  I tend to see a progression of effort something like:

- Anyone in IGC is free to contribute to an Etherpad that serves as the bottom up contribution part of any effort - getting down all of the various positions.  'Events' can be scheduled like a 48 period when anyone who cares goes to the pad and contributes.

- once the ideas are down, a smaller group can move something to a wiki and start crafting the language, the wordsmithing part of an effort.  Anyone can still comment, but editing ability get narrowed.

- near consensus can be reached on the mailing list and if necessary the voting mechanism can be used to nail down contentious issues.
I.e. different Interent tools for different parts of the process, but still leaving things open.

In terms of the perennial problem of bothering people who are not interested in a topic with email they don't care about, I suggest we make better use of subject labels and appropriate. While I can live with list proliferation it does decrease bottom-up participation.

In terms of Parminder's suggestion of a members only list, I ask:

- what do we mean by members
- is this to be a secret list - without an open archive.  I would be troubled by this.

avri