[governance] Draft Evaluation for the purposes of creating a Strategic Coordination Plan [Call for feedback]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 13:45:09 EST 2012

Dear All,

We are *pleased* that there have been numerous suggestions for improvement
from seeking funding, NomCom reforms, reviewing the Charter, creation of
mailing lists, consolidation of rules and procedures.

The Coordinators met on the 30th January, 2012 and one of the Agenda Item
was the creation of a modest Strategic Development Plan or a Coordination
to evaluate our functionality which specifically is the level of alignment
to our Charter etc.  The Vision, Mission and Objectives are imported from
the Charter although in text below, I have numbered them to make it easy
for people to comment etc.

We can also conduct discussions wiki style on the website. We also noted
that the various working groups on the IGC list are inactive based on the
IGC Nairobi Face to Face meeting. These include the following:-

    1. IGC Outreach Working Group;
      2. IGC Strategy Working Group;
      3. IGC Work Plan Working Group;
      4. IGC Charter Review Working Group;
      5. IGC Working Group for CSTD issues.

We have the option of reviving these groups. We also have the option of
creating new groups but it will need volunteers to be actively involved to
drive these Groups.

The excellent work that was developed through this list and headed by
Norbert Bollow in terms of Internet Governance Mapping has paved a pathway
to enable us to strategically discuss and assess our levels of engagement
and how we are meeting Charter objectives. As such, kindly find the Charter
vision, mission and objectives listed for your view. [This is available
from Source: http://www.igcaucus.org/charter ]

Jeremy Malcolm has built an etherpad into our website to enable us to put
thoughts and craft something together. For now, let us know what you think.
   *IGC Strategic Coordination Plan*  *VISION:* The policies that shape the
Internet impact not only the development of the technologies themselves,
but also the realization of internationally agreed human rights, social
equity and interdependence, cultural concerns, and both social and economic
development. Our vision is that Internet governance should be inclusive,
people centered and development oriented. Our contributions to the various
forums relevant to Internet governance, will strive to ensure an
information society which better enables equal opportunity and freedom for
all.  *MISSION:* The mission of the Internet Governance Caucus (IGC) is to
provide a forum for discussion, advocacy, action, and for representation of
civil society contributions in Internet governance processes. The caucus
intends to provide an open and effective forum for civil society to share
opinion, policy options and expertise on Internet governance issues, and to
provide a mechanism for coordination of advocacy to enhance the utilization
and influence of Civil Society (CS) and the IGC in relevant policy
processes.  *Evaluation* - means to evaluate current work done by the IGC
through its various sub groups etc  *No.* *Objectives* Evaluation Comments
1  Inform civil society and other progressive groups/actors on significant
developments impacting on Internet governance policies.      2 Provide a
context for open on line and, wherever and whenever possible, face-to-face
debate on the range of issues related to Internet governance policies from
a civil society perspective.      3  Develop an on-going and outcome
oriented structure. Create informal relationships with various CS groups
and individuals with a direct interest in Internet governance policies,
including those involved in human rights, ICT4D, intellectual property,
international trade and global electronic commerce, access to knowledge,
and security.      4a Provide outreach to other CS groups who have an
interest or a stake in some aspect of Internet governance polices.       4b Act
as the representative of itself, and other CS constituencies with similar
interests, generally or on specific issues, at various forums involved with
Internet governance policies.      5 For the sake of the above, as well as
for more general purposes, develop common positions on issues relating to
Internet governance policies, and make outreach efforts both for informing
and for creating broad-based support among other CS groups and individuals
for such positions.      6 Anticipate, identify and address emerging issues
in the areas of Internet governance and help shape issues and perspectives
in a manner that is informed by the stated vision of the IGC

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro