[governance] Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 13:18:10 EST 2012

Definitely straying from the point but I can't resist the temptation - I am
very strongly reminded of a Lower 6 class on Wordsworth's Prelude (a book
length poem about the poet's childhood) when one of the boys, full of
indignation, shot his hand up and sprang to his feet " Miss, Miss -
Wordsworth said he had *intercourse *with Nature."
Naughty Wordsworth :-)
Deirdre

On 2 February 2012 13:33, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com>wrote:

> In message <p1n0jc6qmmlllgbhc7qnlrqe.1328027658355 at email.android.com>,
> at 16:34:18 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012, jonathan <jonathan at jcave.eclipse.co.uk>
> writes
> >Wouldn't it be odd if the intepretation of a tweet were somehow linked
> >to the nationality, ethnicity, religion, wealth, etc. of the tweeter?
>
> I'd argue that the interpretation strongly depends on the profile of the
> tweeter. Here's a story from ten years ago with an American President
> (who can hardly fail to be surrounded by advisers) using a word that's
> highly offensive elsewhere:
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/jan/09/usa.matthewengel
>
> Whereas the earlier quoted "I could murder an Indian" is accepted in the
> UK as quite complimentary to their cuisine.
>
> Meanwhile, numerous Brits choked on their breakfast earlier this week:
>
> <http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/02/01/14773/comic_fulton_swears_on_b
> reakfast_tv>
> --
> Roland Perry

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979